Use up delicious, seasonal courgettes by making this crispy veggie Tempura. A perfect snack whilst sitting in the sun! Serve with a citrusy ponzu dipping sauce to cut through the richness of the batter with a unique flavour.
Serves 4-6 as a snack
- 2 litres of vegetable oil
- 150g Tempura Batter Mix
- ½-1 tsp red pepper flakes (or regular chilli flakes)
- 225ml chilled sparkling water
- 3 Kerry’s Fresh marrow courgettes (cut into 1.5cm chunks)
- 200g baby courgettes (quartered lengthways)
For the dipping sauce
- 1 anchovy fillet in oil (crushed to a paste)
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp yuzu juice (or grapefruit juice)
- 1 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- Lime (juice squeezed)
- Lime wedges to serve
- Mix together the dipping sauce ingredients (except the lime juice/wedges) in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a large, deep, heavy-based pan. Line a baking tray with kitchen paper.
- Put the batter mix in a large bowl and season with the pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the sparkling water, whisking to combine.
- Working in 3 batches, toss the courgettes in the batter, stirring to coat. Carefully add the courgettes to the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes until the batter is puffed, crisp and golden. Use a frying basket or slotted spoon to lift out the courgette pieces and lay on the lined tray to drain. Squeeze over a little lime juice and serve with the dipping sauce and wedges for squeezing. Tuck in!
Create your own Kerry’s Fresh vegetable box and have all of these ingredients and more delivered straight to your door. Click here to begin creating your box packed with locally sourced goodness!