dairy free sunflower spread for greasing, 1 large avocado, 300g light muscovado sugar, 350g gluten-free plain flour, 50g cocoa powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder, 400ml unsweetened soya milk, 150ml vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract.
For the frosting: 85g avocado flesh (mashed) 85g dairy-free sunflower spread, 200g dairy-free chocolate 70% cocoa (broken into chunks) 25g cocoa powder, 125ml unsweetened soya milk, 200g icing sugar (sifted) 1tsp vanilla extract, gluten-free and vegan sprinkles to decorate.
- Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease two 20cm sandwich tins with a little dairy free sunflower spread then line the bases with baking parchment.
- Put one large avocado and 300g light muscovado sugar in a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Add 350g gluten-free plain flour, 50g cocoa powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 2 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder, 400ml unsweetened soya milk, 150ml vegetable oil and 2 tsp vanilla extract to the bowl with ½ tsp fine salt and process again to a velvety, liquid batter.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 25 mins or until fully risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then turn the cakes onto a rack to cool completely.
- While you wait, start preparing the frosting. Beat together 85g ripe avocado flesh and 85g dairy-free sunflower spread with electric beaters until creamy and smooth. Pass through a sieve and set aside.
- Melt 200g dairy-free chocolate, either over a bowl of water or in the microwave, then let it cool for a few mins.
- Sift 25g cocoa powder into a large bowl. Bring 125ml unsweetened soya milk to a simmer, then gradually beat into the cocoa until smooth. Cool for a few mins.
- Tip in the avocado mix, 200g sifted icing sugar, melted chocolate and 1 tsp vanilla, and keep mixing to make a shiny, thick frosting. Use this to sandwich and top the cake.
- Cover with sprinkles or your own decoration, then leave to set for 10 mins before slicing.