Asparagus is a very versatile veggie and can be cooked in a variety of ways! Chargrilling asparagus accentuates its sweetness and depth of flavour. This Chargrilled Asparagus recipe brings asparagus, herbs, chopped eggs and a mustardy dressing together to create a delicious starter or alternatively, served on toast for brunch. Enjoy!
- 4 free-range Kerry’s Fresh eggs
- A small handful of fresh tarragon leaves (chopped)
- A small handful of fresh dill (chopped, plus extra to serve)
- A small bunch of fresh chives (finely chopped)
- 12 Kerry’s Fresh asparagus spears
- Finely grated zest ½ lemon
- Olive oil to drizzle
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jug and season with salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously to combine, then set aside.
- Put a pan of water on the heat and bring to the boil. Add the eggs and cook for 6-7 minutes. Drain and, when the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely chop. Place in a bowl with the tarragon, dill, chives, half the dressing and some salt and pepper. Gently combine and set aside.
- You can cook the asparagus in a griddle pan if you like, or over the smoky fire of the barbecue. Get the fire going and, once the flames die back and the embers are glowing, you’ll be ready to cook.
- Snap the woody ends from the asparagus. Put the spears on a tray or in a large bowl. Grate over the lemon zest, trickle over some olive oil and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Cook the asparagus for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally and encouraging some charring. When they’re cooked, lift them off the grill and return to the kitchen.
- Spoon the herby dressed eggs onto a serving platter or divide between two plates. Top with the grilled asparagus, trickle over the remaining dressing and add a scattering of dill. Finally… enjoy!
Create your own Kerry’s Fresh vegetable box and have all of these ingredients and more delivered straight to your door. Click here to begin creating your box packed with locally sourced goodness!